Hail Damaged Roof
Restoration Rx Fixes the Hail Damage Sioux Falls Area Homes Suffer
Hail damage that Sioux Falls, South Dakota home owners incur on their properties can be significant following severe weather. The good news is, the worst of the damage is likely covered under your homeowner’s policy. Even storms that bring a small amount of hail with them can cause problems. Consequently, you should be sure to check for damage as soon as possible. However, insurance companies often deny claims for cosmetic damage that is determined not to have an effect on the integrity of the structure.
What to Do If You Suspect Hail Damage to Your Home
Hail damage that Sioux Falls area homes sustain is usually on their roofing and siding materials. However, windows, doors and appliances, such as air conditioning units, may also be harmed. If a hail storm has passed through your neighborhood, there are a few steps you may take to check your property for damage. First, be safe! Inspecting your roof can be dangerous and should only be attempted with proper safety gear and knowledge! Second, bring a camera with you so you can document the damage you find, beginning with the hail.
Indications That You May Have A Hail Damaged Roof
There are some things you can look at to give you an idea that your roof has hail damage.
- Mailbox Damage: If your mailbox is cracked or broken from the hail, your rooftop probably fell victim to it as well.
- Downed Trees: Check that no trees or heavy branches have broken a window or were blown onto the roof.
- Gutters, Screens & Downspouts: Are your gutters or downspouts dented or hanging loose? Be sure to check for small dings and dents that were not present before the storm. This is often an indication of more damage on the roof.
- Windows: Go around the house and check all of the windows for cracks, dings or breakage. This also includes your door and window screens, windowsills and casings (check caulking for tears).
- Siding: Look for divots, dings and dents to your home’s siding.
- Garage Doors: Your garage door may have received hail damage. Make sure to try opening and closing it to make sure the problems aren’t just cosmetic.
- Outdoor Appliances & More: While it’s easily overlooked, you’ll want to look at your air conditioner and condenser coil fins to see if they have suffered hail damage. Check your patio or deck, too.
- Shingles on the Ground: Walk around the yard and check for blown off shingles in the grass or granules on the concrete or ground.
If Your Roof Needs a Hail Damage Inspection
When you have determined that there is enough evidence of exterior damage to warrant a trip onto your roof, we remind you again to be safe! If you have any doubts as to your ability to manage climbing on your roof, please contact Restoration Rx for an exterior home inspection. Here are some things to watch for:
- Look for small dents that are darker than the surrounding area of an asphalt shingle. Even if a small number of granules are missing, the integrity of the shingle may be compromised. It’s a good idea to take pictures of the damaged spots
- If your shingles are wood, keep an eye out for splits in them that are brown or orange or have sharp edges that would indicate they are new.
- A clay roof may have multiple fractures emanating from the points where the hail hit.
- Metal roofs may dent, however, the metal is rarely punctured due to the strength of the material; however, check the integrity of the edges and seams.
Restoration Rx Provides the Hail Damage Repairs Sioux Falls Residents Trust
If your property assessment indicates hail damage to your Sioux Falls home, contact Restoration Rx and schedule a hail damage roof inspection. We’ll arrive as quickly as we can and perform a thorough examination. We will offer advice as to the extent of harm to your roof and help you determine whether or not you should file a claim. In addition, we can provide you with high quality, affordable hail damage repairs to your home that will guard its integrity for years to come!